Sunday, January 16, 2011

It's What All the Cool Kids Are Doing

Of course, it's possible for me to dislike an idea, even to disagree with it, without necessarily thinking it's wrong. Just let me say that now.

J. Elizabeth Clark's article makes me flip-flop so much I feel...spin-ny. 




So ok, Clark and I started off on the wrong foot. She stated, "almost every facet of our personal and professional lives has shifted to new uses of communicative technology. With the pervasiveness of Web 2.0 comes a shift in our cultural norms" (27; emphasis mine). I'm a little wary of the assumption of "ourness", because it seems to oppose a "not ourness." Who is silenced in the assumption that there is a cultural and technological "us"? Teaching at community college, I've had many students who have never even typed a paper on a computer, let alone had fluency with email or internet. Does that mean they are not part of "our" culture? That they are abnormal? Maybe they are, by a strict definition of the term, abnormal--but what harm do we do them by insinuating that such people are not "21st Century" enough? Do they become invisible because they are not part of "our" culture as Clark conceives of it? 

However, Clark won me back a little bit with her John Dewey-love, and her interest with "the civic importance of education" (28). (I was also enamored with her history lesson on page 28—history minor, right here). In fact, I would have liked her to focus more on her definition of education for civic participation. I'm not satisfied with her insistence that we make “the now” our central focus. (Again, I wanted more explanation. My first instinct was to smart off about that very history section I just praised: jeez, for someone who's all about pushing “the now,” she seemed to have found something interesting in the “then,” didn't she?) I'm pretty sure she's not equivocally cutting off the past as a realm with nothing to offer us as teacher or our students as learner. But what is she saying about “now,” exactly?

I suppose most of my actual evaluation of Clark's proposals is dependent on how they are approached. For example, she seems to believe in the great success of Second Life as a teaching and learning space: “In my Composition 1 class, I am using Second Life as an environment for the equivalent of digital field trips for my students, and I base writing assignments around these field trips.” My gut response to this is a mild form of despair; why not take real trips, to real places? (Don't beat me up over definitions of “real” at the moment; I'm going somewhere with this.) I suppose I can answer my own question, in that it's likely such “real” places don't always exist that can coincide with her assignments. As she continues, “As a class, we take field trips from our college's computer lab to different sites in Second Life that intersect with writing assignments.” But again, my initial reaction is displeasure. Why not compose writing assignments that can help students engage with the physical places and communities around them? Why make these interactions exclusively virtual? Clark might say that its because in the world of “the now,” learning to make connections in the virtual world are as important as any others. Or, she (or any other instructor answering the call to her pedagogical banner) might say that she uses these virtual connections as a means of teaching connection with all places, connecting the skills it takes to be a good Second Life neighbor with the skills it takes to be a citizen of our physical neighborhoods. I agree that the digital world can be a powerful mediating force for learning how to interact with the world. But for me to feel compelled by Clark's pedagogy, I would have to believe that the teaching going on is considered in this light, rather than simply as approaching digital literacy of and for itself alone, as the “now” way to live in the (virtual) world.

4 comments:

  1. I find your discussion of Clark’s use of Second Life in her classroom very interesting. I like your emphasis on the “real.” If I have to choose between going on “real” trips or virtual ones, I would definitely choose the “real” ones. One of the main criticisms of Second Life stems from the obsessive nature of its users with the virtual world. This obsession leads to the neglect of their real lives. Here’s the link to that incident that took place last year where a Korean couple starved their “real” child to death to take care of their virtual one:

    http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/korean_couple_addicted_starve_virtual_geeJRZbBHuJMa5du26gT6O

    Where do we draw a line between what’s real and what’s not? Perhaps what’s real for me is not necessarily real for you or anyone else. How does the virtual world affect our will to live in the “real” one? What happens when we rely heavily on a digital pedagogy? Should we worry about affecting our students' understanding of what is "real" and what is valued?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda,

    You make some excellent points here. I'm especially on board with you when you say: "Why not compose writing assignments that can help students engage with the physical places and communities around them?" It would seem, at a glance, that the more we direct our attention to digital and online media, the more we will neglect the local communities in which we live and work. On the other hand, communication technologies have made more local communication and interest possible as well. That is, if, as you point out, we all have access to the latest technologies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amanda,

    The several questions you put up about civic importance of education and the wrestling between the real and the virtual world are interesting and compelling.Your first concern about the "ourness" strikes me because I haven't think of it while reading Clark.With "making the case for a 21st century pedagogy" being the primary goal of Clark's discussion, I think she's just trying to emphasize the available frontier technology as it truely dominates considerable amount of students' lives.But I agree with you on the subtly forced idea of what being the mainstream cultural phenomena. In terms of the last point you make about the "real" world and writing, I also stand with you regarding the absolute sense indicated in her discussion of the work of Secondlife.And same as what Matt points out there,I like your focus on creating writing assignments that can engage students with places and communities around them. However, the advantage of the virtual world is that it tends to be intriguing to students, and it helps to engage students with the writing classroom first.

    Yet,I found myself disagreeing with lots of her elaboration on the value of digital stories and Secondlife to students' practice of writing as well. It is interesting how she strives to link the virtual products with the real world activities or exercises in explaining the "real" benefits they can offer to students' writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda,

    like the others, I like your discussion of second life. I'd even push the criticism further: isn't there something wrong with people all going into the same room together and then "travelling" to a virtual place to have discussions? Doesn't that seem a little pointless? Couldn't she just say, "Imagine you are..." since they're all there together. Isn't one of the big benefits of technologies like second life that they provide people with ways to meet who can't meet in person?

    Anyway, good post.

    ReplyDelete